Tuesday, 17 February 2015

All Good with Oncologists

Thank you to those who have already emailed or phoned to see how it all went yesterday.To sum it up, it went well and I came home feeling as though I had been given a Xmas present.

I was already nervous and had taken a valium to stop the shakes, but in the waiting room, I was talking to a lady who I had first met at the Mammogram Call-up and thence every time I went to the surgeon. She had just had her appointment with Kerrie the Medical Oncologist. Silly me asked her if she had to have chemo. She answered that yes, she did, because the medicines were not compatible with her other medical conditions. Oh no, I thought, that's why I am here.

Kerrie was caring and kind, and very proficient at her "trade". She told me that all of my doctors - surgeon and two oncologists had already met to discuss my case. She drew up a table of the things I had in my favour and the thing I had against me - so mostly good, only bad thing was that my tumour was the highest grade, meaning fast growing (it had developed and grown to be what they classed as large in less than six months). But since all the other considerations were good, the decision had definitely made that NO CHEMO for me! Phew!

Firstly, I must go to my GP and get the temporary antidepressant changed. Then they will juggle the two possible drugs that I must take for ten years. Each has its own benefits and quite serious side effects so they will have to keep changing between the two drugs and watching my bone density especially, but also all the other things these drugs do to you like raise things like cholesterol and blood pressure and more.  Some of the time I will have to take the dreaded bone drug Fosamax, which I have refused to take in the past because of the possibility of serious side effects I do not want.  Kerrie promised me that I would not be on it for long enough for it to be a worry. So I am happy with that and Keith and I felt we could trust Kerrie.

So, off to the radiation oncologist. Again, a very friendly and competent doctor. The good news he gave me is that they will not radiate my good clean, cancer-free lymph nodes - one of my big worries because of the risk of Lymphodema. Radiation will start in the second week of March but I haven't got the appointments yet (probably 10th March as 9th is a public holiday in Victoria).

Both doctors told me as others have said, I do not have cancer now. It has all gone. The rest of the treatment (for the next ten years) is to do the best they can to prevent it coming again.

We have Tahlia (oldest grand daughter) and Colin (her fiancee) here for us to enjoy and keep me distracted, although even though I say it myself, I am doing ok. They are very loving and helpful and I am grateful they have driven all the way down from Queensland.

No comments:

Post a Comment