Sunday, 21 December 2014

Girl Power

When I began to fall apart, the days between the biopsy and the diagnosis, the Breast Clinic Nurse advised me to call out for help and not suffer alone. Since my closest friends, including my lovely sister and my lovely cousin, all lived a long way away, that would be difficult. Phone calls and sms's are great but nothing replaces hugs. One of my old girl buddies will be back from America in a couple of weeks though.

I have made some local friends but happily, I haven't had to reach out for help before. So, I dared to reach out. First, before the diagnosis, I messaged Di, over the other side of the river - a desperate email & sms. Di replied "let's go berry-picking". How wonderful! It couldn't have been better. Di gave me support in so many ways - hugs and diversion.

I have had a supportive phone call from the Breast Clinic in Albury and now an almost sanity-saving call from the Alpine Breast Cancer support nurse. Oh thank you.

Yesterday, I contacted Jenni (uni colleague, Theosophy/philosophy mate and dear friend). She arrived with her Mum, driving all the way from Wodonga.  Earlier in the morning, out of sheer despair, I called Judy next door. Judy came straight over and then promised to return in the afternoon to help organise me into the Christmas cooking. After the cooking, we mowed all the grass together, me on the ride-on and Judy pushing in all the hard areas. Their loving support and ability to get me moving were so much appreciated.

I slept  last night! This morning I woke up with only a few tears and was able to read some Deepak Chopra and meditate for just 5 minutes.

I need to add before I go, that Keith has been wonderful - so patient as I fell apart. The silent cuddles at my sleepless times and each time I dissolve. But my girls have supported him too and have given him some relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment