Saturday, 11 April 2015

All sorts of Things

I have been very busy going to the hospital every day, doing my 1 hour's walking,  half hour's meditation and squeezing in some Japanese and Welsh. It has been great to stay with Kaye a couple of times a week to cut down on the travelling somewhat.

The radiation is going ok with only a slight rash so far - 13 treatments to go, so we will see. My biggest upset this week was actually starting to take the dreaded Tamoxifen. I definitely should not have looked at other "users'" blog comments about side effects. The problem is of course, that if I don't take Tamoxifen, I am likely to get the cancer back. If I do, I could get cancer of the uterus and cataracts in my eyes plus numerous other nice things

Keith and I had a bit of a chat about it and "we" decided to try it for a while, at least until I go to see Professor Avni Sali . I am thrilled that I have an appointment with him on the 14th May in Melbourne. This man is the guru of Integrative Medicine, which means holistic. I am tired of the medical oncologist only knowing and dwelling on drugs, the radiation oncologist only knowing and concentrating on radiation and the surgeon only worrying about his surgery. The counsellor and breast care nurses are the only medicos who really care about me.

I have already studied the American Online Integrative Oncologist's information and now I am reading books and watching films suggested by Prof Sali's organisation. It is the same philosophy, thank goodness. It is hard work and every now and then, I get the doubts. I just watched a film about the connection between the  mind and the body - lots of professional doctors and researchers advocating for meditation, yoga etc to assist in healing. They talked about "belief" - you have to believe that what you are doing is going to make your life healthier. Moral of the story for me - no more googling and never try to talk to the radiation oncologist about anything except to reply to "Do you have any rash or discomfort?"

On Monday night, in between daily radiation treatments, we are having a night out. The Dederang Picnic Race Club gave us a night at Quest Apartments, dinner and breakfast included. Also, after 13 more treatments, I get to go to a recorder weekend at Bundanoon, have a holiday with my sister Rob and even go to a concert in Sydney.  20 sleeps till I go to Bundanoon! There have to be some rewards for all of this stuff.

Well I have already had some rewards.
Visitors:Karl, Dave, Alison and Molly, Grant and Jan, Irene and Jim, Noellene, Louise, Celia and Jennni and her Mum from CSU, and my lovely recorder friends Suzanne and Rachel.
My constant reward: Keith's loving and patient care.

No comments:

Post a Comment